Thursday, August 23, 2012

Die to self.

I have been repeating that phrase to myself over and over again these past few days. Why? Because I'm selfish and insist on my own way.

We have been studying what biblical love is in 1 Corinthians 13 on Sunday mornings and went over verse 5 this past Sunday. It says, "...It does not insist on it's own way; it is not irritable or resentful". So you see, if I want to love with biblical love, I cannot insist on my own way, allow myself to become irritated by others or when things don't go my way, or be resentful. When I die to self, letting go of my ways and my desires, I become more like Christ. Oh what a beautiful day it will be when I stand before the Lord, perfected in Christ's image! But until then, Christ will continually be breaking me and remolding me. This is my journey, my sanctification.

I like this definition of love that my pastor quoted this past Sunday, "Love is the dynamic creative endeavor of finding ways to pursue the welfare of others rather than one's own interests." It is just like what Philippians 2:4 says, "Let each of you look not only to his own interests but also to the interests of others." I think that the greatest example of selflessness is Christ Himself. He humbled Himself, offering up His life for you and me, submitting to the Father's will. Oh that I may become selfless like my Lord!



To listen to the sermons on 1 Corinthians 13, visit gracejax.org or just click here: http://www.gracejax.org/media.php?pageID=22

1 comment:

  1. This is great Hannah! Thanks for sharing :) I'll have to listen to the message.

    ReplyDelete